Tree Pose is one of Wuf Shanti’s favorite poses. It is a great pose to build strength in the legs and bring balance to the brain, as well as improve focus and enhance gratitude.
**Remember to practice breathing deep breaths and see if you can hold each pose for 4-5 breaths, if you are comfortable doing so. Make sure to invite your grown-ups to watch you do the pose. You can also practice repeating one of Wuf Shanti’s Mantras while you do the pose because part of yoga is also to clear your mind and think happy thoughts. Most importantly, remember to have fun and be gentle with yourself!
Mantra: Smile and Say Thank you.
- Standing in mountain pose, shift your weight into your right leg.
- Bring your left foot against the right inner leg at your knee, so you are now balancing on your right foot with the left knee extending out to the side.
- Press your hands together, and then reach your arms and hands to the sky and spread your arms, like the branches of a tree.
- Pick a spot in front of you to look at, and think happy thoughts.
- If you feel comfortable, look up to your hands, and pretend to feel the sun on your face and the wind on your branches.
- Lower your arms to your chest and your foot to the earth, and then try it on the other side.